TSFactory

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Apple Thin Client?

Giving the current outrageous prices for Thin Clients (this week a company in UK sent me an email offering Thin Clients for US$ 469 each!) when I saw Apple had announced the Mac Mini (http://www.apple.com/macmini) I was shocked! For US$ 499.00 you get a VERY SMALL (I mean, VERY SMALL) computer with a PowerPC G4 1.25GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB Hard Disk, 10/100MBits NIC, USB2.0/Firewire ports plus Mac OS X 10.3! Not to mention a dedicated video card with 32MB! Oh, and it is BEAUTIFUL.
Load the Microsoft RDP Client for Mac OS on this and you have one of the best Thin Clients available.
I always wanted to get one of the new Macs with OS X loaded but I could not justify the price. After watching the announcement on Steve Job's webcast, I took the plunge and bought one with 512MB and Bluetooth (gift for my wife - I hope she does not read my blog BEFORE getting it). Sometime in the next weeks I will write about OS X and how I think it compares to Windows and if the Mini can be used as a reliable and easy to use Thin Client. Did I mention it is beautiful?

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home